Thursday, January 14, 2010

Choicer than Fix

We've all been there. It's 4 in the morning, either you are on the hunt for a V (because Red Bull in bars is too expensive sometimes) or it's hometime. You don't feel like a kebab, you certainly don't want dirty Welcome Takeaways and McDonalds is, well McDonalds. BK has closed it's doors and then you see the orange and lime green glow of Fix. It's all going to be all right. Fix will fixie. You pay $3.50 for your $1.00 pie and go home, completely satisfied.

That's all well and good. But, during the day you have no excuse. You don't NEED to pay through the nose for any item available at Fix. Cider for $18.00 for a six pack? No thank you. No, you, you smart person you, will go to one of the following options for your daily needs whether they be bunches of flowers, toilet paper, ice creams, or a bottle of wine.

Sorry for the crap photos - my camera died so they were taken on a phone camera. EEK!

Monty's: Monty's sells everything. I don't think I've ever been there and they haven't had what I wanted. They've been there so long they are practically an instituion. The people at the counter will always give you a smile and ask how your day was. Monty's also gets extra choice points because they put the apostrophe in the right place. It really, really bugs me when shops don't!


Cuba Mini-Mart: Almost directly across the road from Monty's is Cuba Mini Mart. It sure is one of the tiniest shops in existence but they still manage to pack in pretty much everything you need... white wine, red wine, beer... And a good selection of junk food. Mmmm M+M's. They also often have specials on old chocolate. Whoever told you not to eat old food was lying, chocolate is fine out-of-date.


Nic Nac's: Now Nic Nac's is just across the road from the evil Fix so you really don't have an excuse here. What's more, they're way funnier and won't rip you off quite so much. I buy a bottle of water here about once a week and every time he jokes that it will be $22.50 because the first time I went there he charged me $22.50 on the Eftpos machine. The joke got old quick but it's nice to be remembered.


S+S Patel's: Now heading up the road a bit, this is probably the newest and shiniest of all the mini-mart options. For that reason, it's not my favourite but it is good if you're up that end. I'm sure S+S Patel are lovely people, the shininess just doesn't fit my idea of what a dairy should be like.

Cuba St Superette: Now I have to confess I've never been here before today. I went for the purposes of this post and it seemed... all right. It did all the usual things that a superette should do. They weren't super friendly but weren't rude either.


So there you have it folks. Five perfectly good reasons to NOT go to Fix. I know it's tempting, it's all big and shiny and air-conditioned. But think of the people who actually own their shops and don't just work there. Fix staff will still get paid regardless of whether you go there or not during the day, the rest of them however may end up going out of business because of evil corporations.

3 comments:

  1. Monty's is da bomb. I don't buy groceries but anything else I need, like my daily cask, I get from the lovely man at Monty's.
    Definitely agreeing with Choice - Fix is the devil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE Cuba street superette! Its awesome...I drink WAY to much cask - they know what I'm in there for - "...the blue one today?" - is that embarrassing or good service?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome service. Don't worry, they know what I'm all about as well.

    ReplyDelete