Monday, January 25, 2010

Comedy Central, Wellington Style

New Zealand comedy is often described as hit and miss or just plain shit. For a country of people who claim to have good senses of humour, there aren't many of us that will get up on stage and be funny. Wellington's own Fringe Bar is attempting to change this with regular comedy nights both from established comedians and from new comers to the scene. My personal favourites?

1) TJ McDonald.


I'm quite attracted to this man, again it's the beard and glasses combination that do me in. He's "fiercely intellectual", provacative (his show this year for the Billy T Award is called A Maori Ate My Grandad), and undeniably funny. He is the only Wellingtonian up for the Billy T Award this year which is held as part of the International Comedy Festival. Go him.

2) Jim Stanton.


Her profile on www.comedy.co.nz describes her as a girl who has "thrown off the shackles of having a name that sounds like a retired postman's and inability to bake a successful sponge cake". Getting into comedy, "simply because there was a lady shortage" she's been on the scence since 2002. I think of her humour as very intelligent kiwi - you know, it's not "oh I'm beached as bro" but instead sarcastic in a way on New Zealander's find humourous. If I was a guy, I would stalk her. Oh what the hell, I may just anyway.

3) Jez Brown.

A little bit mysterious is this man. I can't find a photo of him at the moment so can't show you who he is. You'll just have to have some faith that he's pretty entertaining. He often turns up at Fresh Meat nights at the Fringe Bar or was seen most recently at El Jaguar's Summer Fiesta de Variety with his new project, The Nana Squad. I was almost crying with laughter at them.

4) Sarah Harpur.



The first time I saw her, she talked about cat abortion. I was hooked. Go, go watch her. She performs with The Commediettes and also solo. Je suis adore!

Most of these acts frequent The Fringe Bar which is located in the middle of town. It's where Blue Note used to be and across from Midnight Espresso. Once you find your way in (I, without fail, lose the door), you'll be ensconced in hilarity, sometimes awkward silence, good drink specials (2-4-1 cider at the moment) and comfy couches. Fresh Meat is $5 and is on most Monday nights. They are hosting lots of stuff for Fringe Festival (Fringe Festival came first, I don't know why Fringe Bar is named as it is - I don't think they have any actual association) and there is lots on that is either free or under $20. Best pick? CHIT CHAT! If you go to nothing else at Fringe, go to Chit Chat - it's at the Fringe Bar Wednesday - Saturday while Fringe Fest is on and it is free so you have no excuse. Everyone likes to laugh right?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment