Thursday, January 14, 2010

Not so choice at all - Jay Reatard

Like most readers of this blog (judging by the Facebook status updates), I was shocked to hear of Jay Reatard's death this morning. A twitter update four days ago stated "If I don't get well soon I'm gonna eat myself into pig champion/tad teritory [sic]". Things obviously weren't healthy in Jay-land but I don't think anyone thought he would actually die from whatever was wrong with him.

I first heard Jay Reatard in a school van on my way home from a week skiing at Ruapehu. We had been listening to Soundgarden 'A-Sides'. Black Hole Sun was on repeat and the teacher in charge got sick of us been emo's before emo's existed and put on 'Teenage Hate'. Looking back, I wonder if he was trying to tell us something. Whatever, I was hooked.
"Genius-level songcraft" combined with a stage energy any performer would envy and an attitude that took no shit (check out this for proof), Reatard was a staple of the neo-punk movement. And not those shit wannabee punks either, he was down and dirty real punk. A Sid Vicious for modern times except he could play guitar and write songs.
He started out at the age of 15 when he sent a demo to Goner Records and was signed by Eric Friedl who said he "loved the racket". Teenage Hate was the second album he released for the record and the first to feature a backing band. In 2001 Reatard started a side project called Lost Sounds which he described as "more fun than anything else I have ever done". This would eventually become his primary focus over his original band The Reatards. Years went by, with various projects happening and Reatard contributing to a huge amount of stuff. He started a record label, Shattered Records which he put on hold in 2007 so he could promote his solo efforts. It was in 2009 that "Watch Me Fall" was released. It was a switch from his usual music, it was still a tight album showcasing Reatard's song writing skills. As stated on Chart Attack, it showed a transition from "angry punk troublemaker to ... rabble rouser". Chart Attack also has a "Ten Reasons Jay Reatard Was Cool" list that I recommend you check out.
Favourite Jay Reatard memory? The gig last year in Melbourne. Vice Magazine said I would get kicked in the head (my dad said I would be retarded not to go if that was the recommendation, oh dad you old punk you). While I didn't get kicked in the head I did lose a shoe and get bruises all over my back. Best mosh EVER.

It's sad when people so young, with lots more to give die. Reatard would feature on the soundtrack of my life thus far and it's sad to think he won't be contributing new material to the rest of our lives.
RIP Jay Reatard.
Keep punkin out from wherever you are.
Lots of info taken from Wikipedia... not Witi plagirised but you know, used.

1 comment:

  1. Jay Reatard and No Age was one of the best nights of last year. Now I have no excuse not to own Matador Singles on vinyl. :'(

    ReplyDelete